Solving no-interface issue in Wireshark on Ubuntu 11.10

Recently I switched to Ubuntu 11.10 as OS in my development machine. Previously I was using Fedora 12. When I installed Wireshark in ubuntu and run it, wireshark didn't show any interfaces which can capture packets. I think it is because wireshark was not run as root user. In fedora when I start wireshark it  ask to run as root and get the password. In ubuntu it was not like that.
So after doing some googleing found a solution at a blog post by tavshed.

sudo groupadd wireshark
sudo usermod -a -G wireshark YOUR_USER_NAME
sudo chgrp wireshark /usr/bin/dumpcap
sudo chmod 750 /usr/bin/dumpcap
sudo setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin=eip /usr/bin/dumpcap
sudo getcap /usr/bin/dumpcap
sudo chmod +xs /usr/bin/dumpcap
 

Reader Comments

thanks yr

that was cool. thanks a lot

it's easier to do a 'sudo wireshark' in terminal.

it's easier to do a 'sudo wireshark' in terminal.



Tribune to Heros

Tribune to Heros
We will never forget the sacrifices you made to protect our country....

Subscribe


Get Google Toolbar Button

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner